Tips & Advice
Tax Overhaul = Big Changes
A Message from Dean, Li & Magner
The new tax reform law, commonly called the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), is the biggest federal tax law overhaul in 31 years, and it has both good and bad news for taxpayers.
Below are highlights of some of the most significant changes affecting individual taxpayers. Except where noted, these changes are effective for tax years beginning after December 31, 2017.
- Drops of individual income tax rates ranging from 0 to 4 percentage points (depending on the bracket) to 10%, 12%, 22%, 24%, 32%, 35% and 37% — through 2025
- Near doubling of the standard deduction to $24,000 (married couples filing jointly), $18,000 (heads of households), and $12,000 (singles and married couples filing separately) — through 2025
- Elimination of personal exemptions — through 2025
- Doubling of the child tax credit to $2,000 and other modifications intended to help more taxpayers benefit from the credit — through 2025
- Reduction of the adjusted gross income (AGI) threshold for the medical expense deduction to 7.5% for regular and AMT purposes — for 2017 and 2018
- New $10,000 limit on the deduction for state and local taxes (on a combined basis for property and income taxes; $5,000 for separate filers) — through 2025
- Reduction of the mortgage debt limit for the home mortgage interest deduction to $750,000 ($375,000 for separate filers), with certain exceptions — through 2025
- Elimination of miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor (such as certain investment expenses, professional fees and unreimbursed employee business expenses) — through 2025
If any of the above applies to you, it’s time to call the licensed professionals at Dean, Li & Magner, a preferred partner of Apple FCU. As a full-service income tax preparation service, tax experts will prepare, print and file your Federal and State returns, no matter the complexity!
Call to schedule an appointment at 703-223-7300.